Youth and Family Counsellor
Full Time – Permanent
KKCFSS is looking for a Youth and Family Counsellor to provide specialized mental health assessment and treatment services to children, youth and their families when the child or youth are suffering serious emotional, psychological, behavioural and/or psychiatric illness. In coordination with other community agencies and professionals, provides a range of mental health services, including: direct clinical services such as intake, assessment, treatment, and crisis intervention; consultation/liaison with community agencies, schools, hospitals, and other programs; involvement in community education, development, coordination and prevention/early intervention programs.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Functions as a primary therapist, utilizing a variety of specialized treatment modalities and therapies, for children, youth and their families
- Provide intake assessment and front line counselling.
- Provides counselling, support, education to families to strengthen connection and understanding of Mental Health issues.
- Provide assessment of basic Mental Health issues and issues relating to suicide.
- Evaluates treatment outcomes
- Provides counselling/support/education to families and other relevant caregivers of such children to understand the nature, treatment and prognosis of the mental health condition of the child/youth and assist with methods of coping
- Consults/liaises with community professionals
- Maintains appropriate clinical/client/administrative records
- Provides direct clinical services such as intake, assessment, treatment, and crisis intervention; consultation/liaison with community agencies, schools, hospitals, and other ministry programs
- Administers and scores mental health-related test instruments appropriate to the profession
- Provide comprehensive assessment and treatment planning and monitors treatment and/or care plans
- Conducts individual, group and family therapy
- Promotes and maintains effective working relationships with clients and families, physicians, schools and hospitals to coordinate services, secure input, cooperation, resolve conflicts, influence outcomes, provide community consultation and provide educational services and training on emotional and behavioural disturbances
- MSW (Clinical Specialization or equivalent training/education), M.ED (Counselling), MA (Clinical Psychology), Master’s Degree in Child and Youth Care or comparable graduate degree at Master’s level.
- Minimum two (2) years of recent experience in a health setting working with complex care clients with a combination of mental health and/or addiction issues.
- Emotionally Focused Family Therapy or Family Systems Training Preferred.
- Sound knowledge of aboriginal issues both historical and current in British Columbia and Canada.
- Experience working with aboriginal community.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to work independently and within a team.
- A commitment to confidentiality.
- A valid drivers’ license and clean driver’s abstract – travel is a requirement of this position.
This position will remain open until filled.
Please submit your cover letter and resume, quoting “CBK Youth and Family Counsellor” in the subject line, telling us what attracts you to the position and how your experiences relate:
Ktunaxa Kinbasket Child & Family Services Society
7472 Mission Road
Cranbrook, BC V1C 7E5
Preference will be given to candidates of Ktunaxa or other First Nations ancestry. If you are a Ktunaxa citizen who is interested in this opportunity but do not feel you have the necessary qualifications, please contact the Ktunaxa Nation Council Education and Employment Sector.
We thank those who apply; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.