Youth and Family Counsellor (Cranbrook)
Full Time – Permanent
Who We Are: Ktunaxa Kinbasket Child & Family Services (KKCFSS) is a non-profit Delegated Aboriginal Agency governed by the Ktunaxa Nation Council Social Sector Board. KKCFSS is available to Ktunaxa citizens, First Nations, Métis, and Inuit living on and off-reserve in the Ktunaxa Traditional Territory.
KKCFSS believes in a holistic approach to providing services with some fundamental beliefs:
- Healthy communities make healthy children.
- Children are the future of our, and all, nations.
- Children have the right to a safe, secure and culturally appropriate family and community experience.
- Children have the right to grow up connected to their family, community and culture.
- Families have the right to culturally relevant services.
The Opportunity: KKCFSS is looking for a Youth and Family Counsellor to provide specialized mental health assessment and treatment services to children, youth and their families in Cranbrook, ʔakisq’nuk and Lower Kootenay when the child or youth are suffering serious emotional, psychological, behavioural and/or psychiatric illness. In coordination with other community agencies and professionals, provides a range of mental health services, including: direct clinical services such as intake, assessment, treatment, and crisis intervention; consultation/liaison with community agencies, schools, hospitals, and other programs; involvement in community education, development, coordination and prevention/early intervention programs.
In the Role as Youth and Family Counsellor, You Will:
- Function as a primary therapist, utilizing a variety of specialized treatment modalities and therapies, for children, youth and their families
- Provide intake assessment and front line counselling.
- Provides counselling, support, education to families to strengthen connection and understanding of Mental Health issues.
- Provide assessment of basic Mental Health issues and issues relating to suicide.
- Evaluates treatment outcomes
- Provides counselling/support/education to families and other relevant caregivers of such children to understand the nature, treatment and prognosis of the mental health condition of the child/youth and assist with methods of coping
- Consults/liaises with community professionals
- Maintains appropriate clinical/client/administrative records
- Provides direct clinical services such as intake, assessment, treatment, and crisis intervention; consultation/liaison with community agencies, schools, hospitals, and other ministry programs
- Administers and scores mental health-related test instruments appropriate to the profession
- Provide comprehensive assessment and treatment planning and monitors treatment and/or care plans
- Conducts individual, group and family therapy
- Promotes and maintains effective working relationships with clients and families, physicians, schools and hospitals to coordinate services, secure input, cooperation, resolve conflicts, influence outcomes, provide community consultation and provide educational services and training on emotional and behavioural disturbances
What You Will Bring to the Role:
- MSW (Clinical Specialization or equivalent training/education), M.ED (Counselling), MA (Clinical Psychology), Master’s Degree in Child and Youth Care or comparable graduate degree at Master’s level.
- Minimum two (2) years of recent experience in a health setting working with complex care clients with a combination of mental health and/or addiction issues.
- Emotionally Focused Family Therapy or Family Systems Training Preferred.
- Sound knowledge of aboriginal issues both historical and current in British Columbia and Canada.
- Experience working with aboriginal community.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to work independently and within a team.
- A commitment to confidentiality.
- A valid drivers’ license and clean driver’s abstract – weekly travel is a requirement of this position.
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination.
Our Commitment to You:
- Excellent compensation package.
- Generous and flexible time off options unique to KKCFSS, promoting work life family balance.
- Education and professional development opportunities.
Please submit your cover letter and resume to:
Tasha Olderness, Executive/HR Assistant
Ktunaxa Kinbasket Child and Family Service Society
7472 Mission Road